Category: toddler socks

Toddler Socks Complete!


Tada! My toddler socks are complete… well, I guess I should rename them to baby socks since I made them so short. Hopefully little Daxy-poo will get some good use out of them. Although I have to warn his mommy that they are super slippery when on hardwood.

I’m psyched at how well the stripes match up. I took a mental note of where I started with the first sock, and tried to start in the same place. I never expected them to be an exact match right down to the toe! Oh yeah – I’m a pro 😉 (except for the holes near the gusset, and the extra ribbing, and the list could go on…)

I used Picnik to edit the photo which turned out pretty cool. Check it out if you want an easy online photo editing tool.

What’s next? Well, I’m trying to plug away on the super secret project for my sister-in-law, however it requires my full concentration. That kind of time is severly limited these days, so it’s slow going. I’m gonna fill in the rest of my knitting time with the baby booties to match the baby hat for my BFFs sisters little one who is due at the end of June.

Advertisements

Toddler Sock 50%done

The first sock is done! Unfortunately it is too short 😦 I tried it on him and the heel kept slipping down. I measured, but I must have pulled too much. I may go ahead and just make two more or see if I can stretch it out a bit with blocking. It still turned out beautiful and looks great on him. I can’t wait to do the hat!

For the next sock I’m going to change the cast on to 50 sts rather than 52 so that I have an even number of ribbing… I ended up just decreasing by two in the first sock and make sure I have enough length in the instep!!

I’m most excited about a new project that I’m starting. It’s a birthday gift, so I’m resisting posting a picture or anything. The yarn is a fabulous blend of baby alpaca, silk and bamboo in a deep mulberry red. It’s a lace pattern too which has been challenging, but so far so good.

Toddler Socks

I finally started some socks for Chris. The yarn is turning out to be really beautiful. I love the combo of gold, dark teal and gray. I would never have put those colors together, but they are pleasing to work with. That’s what I love so much about knitting really, it’s the yarn colors and the surprising way they blend together to bring the fabric to life. I can’t wait to make a hat out of it! The socks are coming together quick, so a hat is not far off.

I’m not working from a pattern this time. I’m just using my gauge to figure out how many to cast on based on the circumference of his ankle. I plan to go with these guidelines from the 2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes:

– If cast on = 100%, then the instep and heel stitches are each generally 50%
– When you add the gussets and then decrease them, return to the number of cast on

I’ll also reference Silver’s Sock Class to remind me how to do the reinforced heel and gussets and toe decreases. I’m keeping it very simple since this is my first time knitting w/out a pattern. Not to mention they are for a boy, so no frilly cable knits or anything like that. However, maybe I will get a little creative with the hat 🙂

I still have to make the flowers for the baby ruffle hat 😦 I tried once, half distracted, and didn’t quite get it. Plus I don’t have the yarn that I really want yet… so I’m not sure what to do about that. I may see if anyone on Ravelry has any scraps they want to donate. Oh! And I found the cutest little mary janes that I want to try to knit with the left over cashmere.