I worked from home today and took my lunch hour to work on my sweater. I found a mistake, well, two to be exact, and decided it would be a good idea to try to fix them today at home with no one around to distract me.
Here’s the mistake – the decreases are about 3 off.
I dropped a few stitches all the way down to where the sleeve joins the body:
Messy, but I’m gonna give it a shot… here’s the first row, looks good so far!
then I found this giant hole – not so good:
If I just pull this loop, the whole thing tightens up and looks great, but there’s all this extra yarn…
I decided to keep going in hopes that it would just work itself out.
It was looking great, but that extra yarn was bugging me, plus there were other areas that were getting way to tight… so I decided to drop a few other stitches on the sleeve and see if I could rework those to make them more even.
No luck, it looked worse than if I had left it. I decided to rip the whole yoke out and start over from the point of attaching the sleeves to the body. So, I basically wasted my whole lunch hour which was such a bummer.
But, just as I had decided that I had to pull everything out the doorbell rang. Surprise! It was a new knitting bag that Paul bought for me for our anniversary. It’s a Tom Bihn bag that he designed especially for knitters. He worked with folks from knitty.com to find out what they needed. It’s super awesome.
So, I put everything neatly away and will start fresh another time with lessons learned. I also found out from the ravelry forums why I had made the mistakes I made. I was an error in the pattern. Now I know and I can do it right this time 🙂
Here’s the bag: